Tuesday, April 27, 2021

North Carolina Arboretum's Wild Art


"I believe that sculpture in general 

reaches out to people 

on an emotional level. 

It addresses two of our senses 

without even trying: 

sight and the sense of touch."

Artist - Pokey Park



Currently, the North Carolina Arboretum presents the outdoor sculpture showcase
Wild Art
This open-air sculpture exhibition features works by 16 artists who draw inspiration for their arts from the natural environment. The art works are situated throughout the Arboretum’s spacious, open-air gardens

Raptor 

Artist - John W. Parker 


Carp and the Acorn
Artist - David Boyajian
“Nature is often hidden in plain sight. The poetic narrative of outdoor sculpture is also hidden in plain sight and in turn, engages the viewing public by directly stimulating thought and imagination.” 


Big Al
Artist - Grace Cathey



Hatchling

Artist - Harry McDaniel

 

Tributary

Artist - Eli Blasko

"The sculpture’s form takes as inspiration the flowing lines found in nature, in particular the bodies of amphibians and waterways they inhabit. My daily commute to Western Carolina University traces the Tuckasegee River and several of its tributaries. Rivers, their currents and the undulating surface of water have been heavy influences in my recent work."

 

The Great Monarch Migration  
Artist - Jim Gallucci  
"Twice in my life I had the privilege of witnessing the 3,000 mile monarch butterfly migration. We were driving cross country and were perplexed by the orange cloud that was drifting across the road. Upon getting closer we saw that it was thousands of monarch butterflies making their way to southern Mexico. My arch celebrates this annual phenomenon of nature with metal painting shapes on spring bouncing and fluttering in the wind."


Stillness Meets Trajectory
Artist -  Annie Mariano
“I walked and walked: in the woods, through fields, over hills, by streams – searching for some sign of normalcy amidst the COVID pandemic. And I found it. I discovered in my own backyard a great blue heron, and with it, strength and vulnerability, hope and history, stillness and trajectory.”


Sanctuary
Artists - John M. Almaguer and Julia C.Burr
 
Hope
Artist - Jim Weitzel
 
Circumstantial Evidence 
Artist - Roger Martin
 
Tangled Hare
Artist - Todd Frahm
 
Without Them, There's No Us
Artist - Lex Turnbull

 

Leo

Artist - Pokey Park

"My love for nature and respect for its different moods began in costal Georgia where I was born. Feeling the need to capture it in another form, my creative journey began. I create with the hope that my work will bring a smile to the viewer; happiness is a very strong positive force. I believe that sculpture in general reaches out to people on an emotional level. It addresses two of our senses without even trying: sight and the sense of touch.

Leo is an enlargement of a smaller piece I did in 1985. I wanted a larger sculpture to refine the curves and flow of lines and to play with shadows and textures. Leo is a very satisfied mountain lion, all curled up and enjoying himself."

 
 
Two Butterflies and Moth
Artist - Lind Pannullo

Angelwing
Artist - Susan Moffatt

Nesting

Artist - Robert Coon



A flock of Black Birds

Artist - Jim Gallucci