Friday, October 9, 2020

On the trail in DuPont Forest - mushrooms everywhere...

 

The world of mushrooms -

quite different from flowers, not only because they are not so colorful, bright and visible ...

Mushrooms, like flowers, are very varied. 

They come in various shapes and sizes - they are small and sometimes even gigantic.

More than 80% of mushrooms grow around trees, so forest is a good place to find mushrooms and other fungi. They like darkness, dampness, rotting wood, and fallen leaves. 

I don't know much about mushrooms, I can't recognize them, I have never picked them, but I appreciate their natural beauty and a bit of mystery which they represent ...

The mushrooms presented in this post I found on one trail in DuPont Forest.

Using pictures from the book "A Field Guide to Mushrooms of th Carolinas" I recognized several mushrooms that could be on the trail: Honey Mushrooms, Crossveind Troop Mushrooms, Scaly Pholiota ...







 
Lady's Tresses orchids
 
Striped Gentian flower