Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Prayer of the Woods



On one of Florida trails we have found this beautiful "Prayer of the Woods."
 It fit perfectly to the scenery we saw during our winter walk and hikes in many state parks in Florida.
It fits perfectly to what we see every day on our trails in the  Carolina Mountains.

"The prayer has been used in Portuguese forest reservations for more than 1,000 years and can be found at state parks, national forests, and national parks across Michigan, the United States, and the world". (Source: internet

And here is a music version of this beautiful poem.





Prayer of the Woods

" I am the heat of your heart of the cold winter nights,
The friendly shade screening you from the summer sun,
And my fruits are refreshing draughts quenching your thirst as you journey on."
"I am the beam that holds your house,
The board of your table,
The bed on which you lie and the timber that builds your boat.
I am the handle of your hoe,
The door of your homestead,
The wood of your cradle and the shell of your coffin,
I am the bread of kindness and the flower of beauty.
Ye who pass by,
Listen to my prayer:
Harm me not."